Sunday, April 15, 2007

A short story.

He sent flowers every day. Different colours, varied bouquets, a medley of scents. And with each, came an elegantly crafted note written in a graceful flowing letters ,on exquisite onionskin paper. The sun shone, the rains poured, a nip of winter cut her, but the flowers were always there. Her Spartan office was transformed. She wondered.

The perfect gentleman, from his neatly gelled hair to his polished shoes, he was a throwback to a more chivalrous age. She paused in her thoughts. What more could she want. Well read, handsome, intelligent, witty, and also the scion of a business empire. Her rebel soul scoffed her “ Wouldn’t they all be happy? Ma and Baba? Their twenty sixish daughter settling down.” Her honest soul wondered.

When she had first met him, at a legal meeting, his eyes had never strayed from her face. Her seniors droned on about the details of a mega merger, she said nothing. His eyes blazed patches of rose on her cheeks. He called soon, very soon, too soon. Asking her to join him for dinner, the theatre, the races, a walk, a drink, a coffee. She turned him down .Now she was running out of excuses.

Abruptly she turned to the smoked glass in her cabin. She saw a slim, attractive woman, with short dark hair, and a slightly forbidding look. She wondered once again “Why me?” Redundant question. She knew the answer. She was pretty, and she didn’t like it. Brains were her weapons, not beauty. But she had been cursed with both.

The insistent stupid tune on her mobile played on. She saw his name flashing. She almost didn’t answer, but her good manners won. A tentative ‘ Dixit.” She could sense his smile, the dimples curving into his skin. “Hello, Ms. Dixit, How are you ?’ She flinched ,such formality, and his flowers mocked her. “Fine. And you?” He chuckled , “As always I am calling to ask you to have a drink with me, or whatever else you want to do?’ Silence. In her chaotic mind, she searched for a new excuse. She heard his warm throaty voice laced with a smile ‘Are you thinking of a new excuse?” Momentarily taken aback, she fumbled for the right words. ‘No.’ Tentatively she stammered ‘Why don’t you come over to my place for a drink” The words were out, she had no control over them. He laughed ‘Our first date, and you call me home? Thank you. I will be at your place around seven. Is that fine” She mumbled “Yes”.

And that was the beginning of many a meeting. They talked, endlessly, he was a delight to be with. He amused her, taught her like a benevolent teacher, they heard music, saw old movies, ate greedily like two children, laughed, that’s all. She would never permit any intimacy ,and he was too much of a gentleman to ever push her. She realized she was falling in love. She hated herself for hating the thought. She carried on an endless debate with herself ‘I am a non judgmental person, so why” Her brain replied with echoes. She knew she had to decide some day. She procrastinated. “I am enjoying his company, let decisions be” How long could this season of sheer joy last?

Not very long. Her mother called. Yet another boy\man to meet. She argued “Ma, I am doing very well in my career. I have no interest in marriage” Her mothers resigned sigh “ But how can I rest until you are settled” She answered a bit more curtly than usual “ Ma, I earn more than Deep, he isn’t married, so why push me” The sigh again “ You are my daughter, that’s why” She terminated the call abruptly. She pondered.

And her mobile sang a silly tune again. It was him. “I want to meet you tonight. Its important. Can I take you out for dinner?” She drew a long breath. ‘Tonight I have to visit my parents. Another boy to see” She heard his deep intake of breath “Please meet me before you go anywhere, Its very important to me” She heard the love in his voice, and she knew that she felt it too. But she was a coward. She kicked herself mentally, but to no avail. “ Fine, come over early sevenish.” His profuse thanks made her cringe.

And now it was seven. She was all dressed up, saree, kajal, the works. He came in with a long bouquet of white tube roses, intermingled with three red roses. He wasted no time “I want to marry you. I love you. I have never loved anyone so very much. Please say yes” She stared a long time at him. Down at him. She smiled a sweet sad loving, but cruel smile ‘I am sorry. I cant marry you. Please leave. Thank you for the flowers, the music, the fun, but’ He smiled sadly “I understand. I will go. Thank you for every minute of joy I had ‘ He turned to leave, and looked at her ‘I thought you were different. I believed in you. I love you. Goodbye” He walked away. She stood transfixed .Soon she saw his four feet, four inches body disappear into the shadows of the night.

3 comments:

HP said...

hah ! u have a wonderful way of throwing surprises in the end !

jayu said...

Thank you ....am full of surprises myself!

jayu said...

Thank you ....am full of surprises myself!